- The most ambitious complex of contemporary architecture and urbanism in Thailand
- Features a pixilated spiral carving, 5m deep, down its entire length
MahaNakhon is a 77-storey, high-rise complex located on a 1.5ha site in Bangkok’s Central Business District. The development will be the most ambitious complex of contemporary architecture and urbanism in Thailand, including the tallest building in Bangkok. Arup provided structural, mechanical and electrical engineering services to schematic design stage.
The development features:
- MahaNakhon Square - a landscaped public plaza
- MahaNakhon Terraces - a 10,000m², up-market retail centre spread over multiple levels with restaurants, cafes and a 24-hour marketplace.
- MahaNakhon Tower - which at 310m tall, contains 200 luxury apartments, a boutique hotel with 150 rooms and a rooftop Sky Bar and restaurant.
A carving, up to 5m deep, spirals throughout the full height of the square tower. This provides the luxury apartments with a zone for projecting glass skyboxes, terraces and combined indoor/outdoor spaces well suited to the tropical climate of Bangkok.
The unique architectural form and the slender nature of the structure presented a major design and engineering challenge. A solution was needed that retained the architect’s intent while maintaining an economic and repetitive form where possible. By adjusting the structural solution Arup's engineers maximised the use of local concrete without compromising the daring skybox protrusions.
The development also required a coordinated, high-quality services solution that satisfied the operating needs of the various tenants.