Arup together with David Chipperfield Architects designed the stunning new headquarters for the South Korean cosmetics group, Amorepacific, located in Seoul.
The building uses durable and beautiful materials and efficient technologies that need significantly less energy, water and materials than standard Korean construction practices. Central to the vision was a total design approach, integrating all aspects including the architectural, structural, technical as well as social concepts.
The cubic building is a singular structure, standing out clearly from the neighbouring high-rise blocks. The proportions of the building have been carefully designed around a central atrium to maximise the effectiveness of natural ventilation and daylight on all floors. Three large openings connect this central volume, providing a spectacular view of the Yongsan Park and the mountains in the distance.
A multidisciplinary and international collaboration between our London and Berlin offices, we provided the structural engineering together with vertical transport, fire, wind and building services, building physics, façade, acoustics and lighting designs.
With a comprehensive sustainability concept, our clients received LEED Gold certification in the summer of 2018.
A façade with natural shading elements
The facade of the building illustrates one of the key components of the sustainable design. Together with the architects, we developed a skin that integrates both shading and ventilation. Vertical fins, designed according to interdisciplinary aspects regarding their geometry and arrangement, optimise shade and natural light and reduce energy consumption.
110 metre tall cube
80,000m2 office space
Resource efficient building services
To reduce the energy consumption of the building, state-of-the-art technologies for solar and geothermal energy as well as an innovative ice storage system were applied. All systems for heating, cooling and ventilation are equipped with energy recovery devices and sub meters, monitoring the building’s energy consumption. The processing of rainwater, treatment of wastewater and water efficiency fittings all combine to reduce water consumption.
The partnership between Arup and David Chipperfield Architects illustrates our approach to ‘Total Design’ and how we embraced the client’s values. ” Eva Hinkers Europe Region Chair
Sustainable luminaire design
A sustainable and modular luminaire design with a globally unique interchangeable optical lens and LED technology was specially developed for the building. The product line can adapt for versatile future uses, with more than twenty different optical performances. It allows full replacement of parts and easy adjustments to changing project needs.
It is rewarding to work with an enlightened client who wishes to achieve beauty through innovation. A willingness to re-think the rules, encouraged freedom of thought amongst the design team, leading to an original expression in engineered architecture ” Nigel Tonks Director
The new headquarters have a gross floor area of 187,000 m² that accommodate up to 7,000 people. It is destined for mainly commercial uses but also includes public functions such as a museum, conference areas, an auditorium, restaurants and retail facilities.
- KIA (Korean Institute of Architects) Award (Oct 2018) "Best architecture of the year"
- Korean Architecture Award (Nov 2018) "completed private sector”
- Dezeen Award (Nov 2018) “Tall Building of the year”
- LIT (Light in Theory) Award (2018) "Interior Architectural Illumination"
- CTBUH (Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats) Award of Excellence (2019) “Best Tall Building 100-199m”, “Interior Space”, “MEP Engineering”
- AIA (American Institute of Architects) UK Excellence in Design Award (Apr 2019) "Professional"
- Deutscher Lichtdesign-Preis (German Lighting Design Award – 2019) “International Project”
- IALD (International Association of Lighting Designers) International Lighting Design Awards (2019) Award of Merit
- IES (Illuminating Engineering Society) Illumination Awards (2019) Award of Merit
- Lighting Design Awards (2019) Commended: “Workplace Project of the Year"
- CIBSE Building Performance Awards (2021) "Project of the Year – Commercial/Industrial"